Does The Appearance Of Your Hands Show Your Age?
Every day we wake up and look in the mirror, we focus on what is within the mirror frame. We are quick to notice a falling brow or a sagging neck and often forget there is another part of our body that shows our age to the world, our hands. The hands see the same sun rays that beat down on our face, the same sun rays that accelerate the aging process. You probably know someone with a great skincare routine and a good plastic surgeon that looks 20 years younger in the face, but their hands are the giveaway. I want to share with you two approaches to hand aging, prevention and corrective treatment.
FEATURES OF THE AGING HAND
Take a look at this photo of a youthful hand contrasted with an aged hand. Both hands are beautiful in their own right but we now live in an age where longevity is possible and aging is optional.
The first step towards finding a solution is identifying the problem, so lets analyze what makes a hand look aged! The common features of an aged hand include:
- Thin, inelastic, crepey skin
- Dry skin
- Age spots and sun spots
- Decreased subcutaneous fat
- Prominent veins and tendons
- Changes in shape of bones due to arthritis
With proper diagnosis of a problem I am able to create a rejuvenation strategy for your hands.
PREVENTION & HAND REJUVENATION
This is easy, if you have a good skincare routine for your face then apply that same routine to your hands. The foundation of skin health and preventing aging is skincare, I don’t think this principle will ever change or be replaced even with advances in science. The following products are a must to prevent thinning of your skin and the formation of age spots (and cancer!):
- Moisturizer with SPF - daily use even when strong sun exposure is not planned
- Antioxidant - a small dab of your favorite Vitamin C product in the morning
- Retinol - a gentle medical grade retinol product can be dabbed on the back of your hands instead of washing them after your PM face application
If you only pick one preventative measure - pick SPF! For the other products you don’t need to buy separate products, use your face skincare and just end each product application by taking what remains on your fingers and rubbing it into the back of your hands. No big life changes needed here!
CORRECTIVE TREATMENT FOR HAND REJUVENATION
There are two procedures that I offer for hand rejuvenation:
- Broad Band Light (BBL or IPL) therapy for age spots- performed in office with no downtime
- Autologous fat grafting to soften the contour and lessen the appearance of veins and tendons- performed in the operating room with fat that is harvested from your tummy or thighs
To continue reading subscribe to my newsletter and read all about BBL and fat grafting to the hands.
Link to subscribe and read: http://eepurl.com/iu9ikk